For the past two years, OurBlook.com has been conducting interviews with top experts in journalism and media about the future of journalism. In my previous post for MediaShift, I offered a collection of views about where the industry and profession is headed.
We recently began asking interviewees to outline what they see as the role and skillset of the journalist. Overall, experts agreed that the future journalist will be:
- A multitasker, juggling various responsibilities and roles, many which may have nothing to do with “traditional” journalism.
- Technologically savvy, having at least a basic understanding of programming, web tools, and web culture.
- A gatekeeper for a particular beat, directing readers to the most current and trustworthy news, regardless of who wrote it or where it’s housed.
- A versatile storyteller, who knows how to present a story online in various formats.
- A brand and a community manager, who cultivates a constant and interactive conversation with their readership.